EXT4-fs error - ext4_mb_generate_buddy

From: David Rees
Date: Thu Sep 10 2009 - 14:57:10 EST

Running ext4 on Fedora 10, kernel 2.6.29.6-93.fc10.x86_64. Partition
in question is an 8 disk software RAID10 with mostly SATA disks and
one IDE disk. We've never seen any hardware or filesystem corruption
issues on this machine in the past, though the RAID10 setup is new -
was put into service the same time we migrated the partition from ext3
to ext4 (fresh filesystem created and data copied over).

Earlier today, we saw this message in the logs:

EXT4-fs error (device md0): ext4_mb_generate_buddy: EXT4-fs: group
586: 19635 blocks in bitmap, 19636 in gd

It looks rather ominous and we will be scheduling a reboot to force a
fsck as well as to upgrade to kernel-2.6.29.6-99.fc10.x86_64 (which
doesn't appear to have any ext4 related changes in it). Looking in
the archives, I'm not quite sure what to make of the message, but it
does seem to indicate that we may have filesystem corruption. Any
suggestions?

Thanks

-Dave