Re: BFS vs. mainline scheduler benchmarks and measurements

From: Mat
Date: Fri Sep 11 2009 - 05:26:35 EST

Martin Steigerwald <Martin <at> lichtvoll.de> writes:

> Am Donnerstag 10 September 2009 schrieb Ingo Molnar:

[snip]

> > what is /debug/sched_features - is NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS set? If not
> > set yet then try it:
> >
> > echo NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS > /debug/sched_features
> >
> > that too might make things more fluid.

Hi Martin,

it made an tremendous difference which still has to be tested out :)

Hi Ingo,

which adverse effect could

cat /proc/sys/kernel/sched_wakeup_granularity_ns
0

have on the throughput ?

Concerning that "NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS" switch - isn't it as easy as to

do the following ? (I'm not sure if there's supposed to be another debug)

echo NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS > /sys/kernel/debug/sched_features

which after the change says:

cat /sys/kernel/debug/sched_features
NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS NO_NORMALIZED_SLEEPER ADAPTIVE_GRAN WAKEUP_PREEMPT
START_DEBIT AFFINE_WAKEUPS CACHE_HOT_BUDDY SYNC_WAKEUPS NO_HRTICK NO_DOUBLE_TICK
ASYM_GRAN LB_BIAS LB_WAKEUP_UPDATE ASYM_EFF_LOAD NO_WAKEUP_OVERLAP LAST_BUDDY
OWNER_SPIN

I hope that's the correct switch ^^

Greetings and please keep on improving the scheduler (especially with regards to
the desktop crowd)

Regards

Mat