Re: Regression in suspend to ram in 2.6.31-rc kernels

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Fri Sep 11 2009 - 18:31:25 EST

On Saturday 12 September 2009, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Sat 2009-09-12 00:04:02, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > Um..., sorry, I'm not sure what are you talking about. Of course, the
> > > problem of this is that system freeze on suspend.
> > >
> > > Or are you asking my guess of the cause, or something? If so, although
> > > I'm not reading all emails on this thread, from Zdenek's backtrace, the
> > > sequence would be
> > >
> > > 1) suspend mmc
> > > 2) mmc generates card removed event
> >
> > Which shouldn't happen.
>
> Are you sure? IIRC it depends on CONFIG_MMC_UNSAFE_RESUME.

Generating the event at this point is too late, because there's no way to
handle it cleanly with the current suspend/resume design.

It probably will work if the event is generated before we freeze the user
space, for example with the help of a suspend notifier, but generating it
from a driver's suspend routine is not valid.

Again, that's a consequence of the lack of a general solution for handling
"removable" file systems over suspend/resume.

Thanks,
Rafael