Re: Regarding dm-ioband tests

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Tue Sep 15 2009 - 11:59:12 EST

Balbir Singh wrote:
* Ryo Tsuruta <ryov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2009-09-16 00:12:37]:

Why it is so bad to have multiple ways to configure? I think that it
rather gains in flexibility of configurations.

The main issue I see is user confusion and distro issues. If a distro
compiles cgroups and dmsetup provides both methods, what method
do we recommend to end users? Also should system management tool
support two configuration mechanisms for the same functionality?

It gets worse.

If the distro sets up things via cgroups and the admin tries
to use dmsetup - how does the configuration propagate between
the two mechanisms?

The sysadmin would expect that any changes made via dmsetup
will become visible via the config tools (that use cgroups),
too.

This will quickly increase the code requirements to ridiculous
proportions - or leave sysadmins confused and annoyed.

Neither is a good option, IMHO.

--
All rights reversed.