Re: x86-PAT tree merge causes keyboard problems

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Sep 15 2009 - 18:44:39 EST

On 09/15/2009 01:52 PM, Markus Trippelsdorf wrote:
> The merge of the PAT tree today breaks certain key combinations of my
> keyboard. For example I switch my virtual desktops with
> ctrl-alt-left/right and this combination stops working. Basically all
> keyboard combinations involving the left alt key are broken on my
> machine as a result of this merge.

> I bisected this down to:
>
> »
> 335ef896d4c6639849d79367f0fef9abc06d121b is the first bad commit
> commit 335ef896d4c6639849d79367f0fef9abc06d121b
> Author: Venkatesh Pallipadi <venkatesh.pallipadi@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri Jul 10 09:57:36 2009 -0700
>
> x86, pat: Add rbtree to do quick lookup in memtype tracking

I think we have a winner for the second bizarrest bug report I've ever
seen[1]. Not doubting you in any way, just that it is clearly a very
strange combination of things at play here.

We need more information about your system, the lspci -vv and dmidecode
output, as well as your entire dmesg, and a dump of
/debug/x86/pat_memtype_list.

-hpa

[1] The bizarrest one was a floating-point bug in the original Crusoe
CPU, which ended up having the effect that a pair of double doors on a
particular level in Quake 1 would only have one of the two half-doors
swing open when the player approached.