Re: [GIT PULL] please pull ummunotify

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Thu Sep 17 2009 - 07:30:48 EST

On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 21:38 -0700, Roland Dreier wrote:
> Linus, please consider pulling from
>
> master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/roland/infiniband.git ummunotify
>
> This tree is also available from kernel.org mirrors at:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/roland/infiniband.git ummunotify
>
> This will get "ummunotify," a new character device that allows a
> userspace library to register for MMU notifications; this is
> particularly useful for MPI implementions (message passing libraries
> used in HPC) to be able to keep track of what wacky things consumers
> do to their memory mappings. My colleague Jeff Squyres from the Open
> MPI project posted a blog entry about why MPI wants this:
>
> http://blogs.cisco.com/ciscotalk/performance/comments/better_linux_memory_tracking/
>
> His summary of ummunotify:
>
> "Itâs elegant, doesnât require strange linker tricks, and seems to
> work in all cases. Yay!"
>
> This code went through several review iterations on lkml and was in
> -mm and -next for quite a few weeks. Andrew is OK with merging it (I
> think -- Andrew please correct me if I misunderstood you).

Anton Blanchard suggested a while back that this might be integrated
with perf-counters, since perf-counters already does mmap() tracking and
also provides events through an mmap()'ed buffer.

Has anybody looked into this?

If someone did and I missed the discussion on why it isn't appropriate,
kindly point me in the right direction ;-)