Re: New ark3116 driver - how to get included into kernel?

From: Greg KH
Date: Fri Sep 18 2009 - 02:16:20 EST

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 02:52:29PM +0200, Bart Hartgers wrote:
> (Sorry for sending an HTML-ized version of this mail before)
>
> Hi All,
>
> I managed to write an improved ark3116 driver after I figured out that
> it is just an 16450 UART with some USB glue logic.
>
> The attached files can be compiled outside the kernel tree, and work
> for 2.6.31. However, I would like this driver to (eventually) end up
> in the kernel tree. In order to get there, who should I sent patches
> against what? I've contributed code to the kernel before, but not in
> the last 5 or so years, so I am a bit out of touch.

Take a look at the file, Documentation/SubmittingPatches, it should
describe what you need to do.

> Compared to the old ark3116 driver this one offers the following improvements:
>  - cts/rts handshake support
>  - break signalling
>  - line error detection

Why can't you just send patches adding support for these features to the
existing driver? It shouldn't be that much different between the two
versions, right?

That's the preferred method, I'd like to not drop the existing one if at
all possible.

thanks,

greg k-h