Re: kernel panic - not syncing: out of memory and no killableprocesses

From: Eric Paris
Date: Fri Sep 18 2009 - 10:59:57 EST

On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 14:59 -0700, David Rientjes wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Eric Paris wrote:
>
> > Absolutely 100% udevd related. It always pops right when udev starts.
> > Every time. I don't know how to get that to come out on the serial
> > port, you only get to see the kernel messages (although there is nothing
> > on the screen other than "Starting udev"
> >
> > Reverting 3f2aa307c4d26b4ed6509d0a79e8254c9e07e921 causes the problem to
> > go away. I now am running a 79b520e87e kernel + your patch (adding
> > console_verbose()) + reverting 3f2aa307c4d2 and it seems to be working.
> >

> Isolating udevd down to an interactivity scheduling change isn't _that_
> bizarre. I think the setting of UDEVD_PRIORITY is already mostly
> arbitrary anyway and it'll allow 192 children on your 512M machine by
> default unless you changed UDEVD_MAX_CHILDS for uid 0.
>
> The default timeout for idle workers is 3 seconds, which may just happen
> to be long enough to panic your machine because of low memory. If that's
> the case, I don't believe that it's a scheduler issue but rather a root
> abuse of setting all udevd threads to be OOM_DISABLE.
>
> What is your udevd --version? The latest is udev-146 released last month.

145

Let me try and clone the vm some I don't break my reproducer. I'll see
if adding more memory fixes it. Doesn't look like Fedora has built a
-146 yet, I'll see if I can get one of those as well.

udev bug, configuration issue, whatever, or not, it's a regression that
I used to be able to boot and updating my kernel leaves me unable to
boot. I think we all agree when 512M of memory isn't enough to boot to
runlevel 3 we've got a problem :)

-Eric