Re: efficient access to "rotational"; new fcntl?

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Sat Sep 19 2009 - 07:25:41 EST

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 09:31:50PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
> About a year ago, I fixed GNU rm to avoid quadratic readdir/stat seek
> penalties on ext3 and ext4 that became overwhelming on directories with
> many entries (1M entries started to look like infloop or DoS).
>
> From coreutils-7.0 NEWS:
>
> chgrp, chmod, chown, chcon, du, rm: now all display linear performance,
> even when operating on million-entry directories on ext3 and ext4 file
> systems. Before, they would exhibit O(N^2) performance, due to linear
> per-entry seek time cost when operating on entries in readdir order.
> Rm was improved directly, while the others inherit the improvement
> from the newer version of fts in gnulib.
>
> To do that efficiently, I changed the core readdir loop (mainly via
> gnulib's fts.c) to preprocess entries, when needed, by sorting them
> on inode, and *then* processing them. This optimization is enabled
> only when the affected file system is of a type likely to benefit,
> and when the number of directory entries is large enough to matter.

This is excellent. I've been used to play with variations of
'find -printf "%i %p\n"|sort -n|cut -f2|xargs <cmd>' to sort file
operations by inode to speed them up, especially when rm'ing a
kernel tree or when doing a prefetch to build from hot cache.

I think you might notice excellent results on CDs where seeks cost a
lot. That's where I first use the find|sort method above. I'm really
happy to see that such mechanisms are now implemented inside my
everyday tools, and I can't wait to upgrade!

Regards,
Willy