Re: Linux not shutting down all devices? Battery drain in after shutdown

From: Daniel J Blueman
Date: Sat Sep 19 2009 - 14:28:59 EST

On Sep 17, 1:30 pm, Norbert Preining <preining@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have a very strange problem with my Sony VAIO Z11 laptop. When I turn
> it off in Linux it still drains battery, and quite a lot indeed, several
> percent per hour.

As there is potential for broken BIOS/firmware to be mis/reprogramming
hardware at shutdown time, can you check with booting the kernel with
'reboot=pci' before shutting down?

This has the excellent effect on my Thinkpad T400 of avoiding a 9
second hang when powering off or rebooting [1], making it faster than
bootup (as it should be), though I haven't done any battery draining
measurements yet...

If code is being executed by the BIOS to reprogram devices, that 9
second hang may be due to timeouts when hardware isn't in the expected
state even.

I wonder if windows quiesces all devices and uses the pci poweroff/
reboot method or the keyboard controller method.

Daniel

--- [1]

http://groups.google.com/group/linux.kernel/browse_thread/thread/90f916ad67d5e7d3/f81bfd6af01fafb6?lnk=gst&q=blueman#f81bfd6af01fafb6
--