Re: Paravirtualization on VMware's Platform [VMI].

From: Alok Kataria
Date: Sat Sep 19 2009 - 23:56:48 EST

On Sat, 2009-09-19 at 15:44 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 05:17:08PM -0700, Alok Kataria wrote:
> > Given this new development, I wanted to discuss how should we go about
> > retiring the VMI code from mainline Linux, i.e. the vmi_32.c and
> > vmiclock_32.c bits.
> >
> > One of the options that I am contemplating is to drop the code from the
> > tip tree in this release cycle, and given that this should be a low risk
> > change we can remove it from Linus's tree later in the merge cycle.
>
> That sounds good to me, how intrusive are the patches to do this?

It's a single patch, and the changes are pretty much self contained,
meat of the patch comprises of removing the vmi_32.c and vmiclock_32.c
file. I don't think we may want to break the changes down.

Below are the diffstats, let me post the patch in a separate mail.

====
Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt | 2
arch/x86/Kconfig | 10
arch/x86/include/asm/vmi.h | 269 ----------
arch/x86/include/asm/vmi_time.h | 98 ----
arch/x86/kernel/Makefile | 1
arch/x86/kernel/setup.c | 7
arch/x86/kernel/smpboot.c | 9
arch/x86/kernel/vmi_32.c | 913 -----------------------------------
arch/x86/kernel/vmiclock_32.c | 321 ------------
delete mode 100644 arch/x86/include/asm/vmi.h
delete mode 100644 arch/x86/include/asm/vmi_time.h
delete mode 100644 arch/x86/kernel/vmi_32.c
delete mode 100644 arch/x86/kernel/vmiclock_32.c
====

> Is it going to be tricky to get everything merged properly in -tip
> for it?

IMO, shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks,
Alok