Re: Poor desktop responsiveness with background I/O-operations

From: Nikos Chantziaras
Date: Sun Sep 20 2009 - 13:21:49 EST

(Please don't strip the CC list when you reply. Use the "Reply to all" functionality of your mail client and keep all CCs.)

On 09/20/2009 11:50 AM, Ulrich Lukas wrote:
Arjan van de Ven wrote:
can you try the following two things?

echo 4096> /sys/block/sda/queue/nr_requests
for i in `pidof kjournald` ; do ionice -c1 -p $i ; done

I tried this just now, but it doesn't change things much. I can do a
more testing later today.

I assume you're using CFQ.

Yes, it's CFQ. (see .config of my previous posting)

Filesystem is EXT4.

I can also confirm total lock-up when copying a big file (Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel X38 chipset). Everything locks-up for several seconds during the copying. I'm also on ext4. I've been told on various mailing lists that this is normal, expected and unavoidable so I pretty much think the only solution is to avoid heavy I/O :P