Influence of optimization level, preemption and scheduler on boottime

From: Johannes Buchner
Date: Mon Sep 21 2009 - 07:07:47 EST

Hi all.

I measured the kernel (and system) boot times while varying the
parameters:
- Optimization level: -Os, -O2 and also -O3
- Preemptive model
- Scheduler: CFQ, Anticipatory, Deadline, Noop

My conclusion was that the optimization level and the preemptive model
had no significant influence on speed. CFQ let my system boot several
seconds faster than the other schedulers.

Graphs can be found at:
http://johannes.jakeapp.com/blog/?p=913

This conclusion may not be true for all situations, but I found it
interesting that the optimization level is so irrelevant.

Cheers,
Johannes

(I am not subscribed to the list.)
--
Emails können geändert, gefälscht und eingesehen werden. Signiere oder
verschüssele deine Mails mit GPG.