[LTP] mmapstress03 weirdness? (fwd)

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Mon Sep 21 2009 - 09:40:45 EST

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 18:37:12 +0200 (CEST)
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Linux Test Project <Ltp-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LTP] mmapstress03 weirdness?

On ppc64, with 32-bit userland, I get:

| Running tests.......
| <<<test_start>>>
| tag=mmapstress03 stime=1253117251
| cmdline="mmapstress03"
| contacts=""
| analysis=exit
| <<<test_output>>>
| incrementing stop
| : errno = 0: really large mmap didn't fail
| mmapstress03 1 TFAIL : Test failed
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| <<<execution_status>>>
| initiation_status="ok"
| duration=0 termination_type=exited termination_id=0 corefile=no
| cutime=0 cstime=0
| <<<test_end>>>
| INFO: ltp-pan reported all tests PASS
^^^^

The core part of this test is:

/* Ask for a ridiculously large mmap region at a high address */
if (mmap((caddr_t)(1UL << (POINTER_SIZE - 1)) - pagesize,
(size_t)((1UL << (POINTER_SIZE - 1)) - pagesize),
PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_ANONYMOUS|MAP_FIXED|MAP_SHARED, 0, 0)
!= (caddr_t)-1)
{
ERROR("really large mmap didn't fail");
anyfail();
}
if (errno != ENOMEM && errno != EINVAL) {
ERROR("really large mmap didn't set errno = ENOMEM nor EINVAL");
anyfail();
}

With 32-bit userland, this boils down to:

| mmap addr 0x7fff0000 size 0x7fff0000
| mmap returned 0x7fff0000

i.e. mmap() succeeds, but (1) the test expects it to fail, so the test returns
TFAIL, but (2) ltp-pan still reports that the tests passed?

In addition, sometimes mmapstress03 fails due to SEGV. I created a small test
program that just does the above mmap(), and depending on the distro and what
else I print later it crashes with a SEGV, too. Probably this happens because
the mmap() did succeed, and corrupted some existing mappings, cfr. the notes
for MAP_FIXED:

MAP_FIXED
Donât interpret addr as a hint: place the mapping at exactly
that address. addr must be a multiple of the page size. If the
memory region specified by addr and len overlaps pages of any
existing mapping(s), then the overlapped part of the existing
mapping(s) will be discarded. If the specified address cannot
be used, mmap() will fail. Because requiring a fixed address
for a mapping is less portable, the use of this option is disâ
couraged.

JFYI, with 64-bit userland, this boils down to:

| mmap addr 0x7fffffffffff0000 size 0x7fffffffffff0000
| mmap returned 0xffffffffffffffff

i.e. mmap() fails as expected, and the test succeeds.

Does all of this sound OK?
Thanks for your comments!

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect
Techsoft Centre

Technology and Software Centre Europe
The Corporate Village  Da Vincilaan 7-D1  B-1935 Zaventem  Belgium

Phone: +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax: +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail: Geert.Uytterhoeven@xxxxxxxxxxx
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

A division of Sony Europe (Belgium) N.V.
VAT BE 0413.825.160 Â RPR Brussels
Fortis  BIC GEBABEBB  IBAN BE41293037680010