Re: [crash] kernel BUG at net/core/pktgen.c:3503!

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Sep 21 2009 - 12:45:58 EST

* Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> * David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > From: Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@xxxxxxxxx>
> > Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 22:51:12 +0400
> >
> > > [Ingo Molnar - Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 08:36:47PM +0200]

> > > Hi Ingo,
> > >
> > > just curious, will the following patch fix the problem?
> > > I've been fixing problem with familiar symthoms on
> > > system with custome virtual cpu implementation so
> > > it may not help in mainline but anyway :)
> >
> > Ingo, does Cyrill's patch help?
>
> For now i've turned pktgen off in my tests. Will check it again once
> things have calmed down somewhat.
>
> Also, i just tried to reproduce the pktgen crash with latest -git and
> the config i sent - no luck, so i cannot test Cyrill's patch either.
>
> Btw., we are seeing some other preempt count and task related
> weirdnesses as well in other code, maybe it's related. No good pattern
> yet to act upon.
>
> Anyway - please disregard this bugreport until i've investigated it
> closer.

Update: i've further investigated it and this bug was caused by a
scheduler bug introduced in this merge window, which got fixed in:

3f04e8c: sched: Re-add lost cpu_allowed check to sched_fair.c::select_task_rq_fair()

This bug caused CPU affinities to not work in essence - breaking kthread
per-cpu assumptions in net/core/pktgen.c.

I've confirmed this by re-enabling pktgen in my tests and the crash has
no reappeared.

Thanks,

Ingo