Re: Poor desktop responsiveness with background I/O-operations

From: Nikos Chantziaras
Date: Mon Sep 21 2009 - 18:47:28 EST

On 09/21/2009 10:47 PM, James Cloos wrote:
[...]
I had that kernel up for soemthing like five weeks, on a busy, low-ram
laptop, w/o and long pauses or other noticeable pain. For at least two
years before that the best this laptop could manage before latency
became horrific was a fortnight, and weekly reboots were desirable.

Unfortunately, before I could send out a congratulatory note (I wanted
to first confirm that the result remained) I pulled up and started see-
ing even worse latency then ever.
[...]
A git pull on a clone of Linus' tree is a great way to trigger the
problem. As is using Gentoo's portage to install/upgrade anything.
(Bad python; no alligator!¹)

Fortunately, this is completely (at least here) solved by putting those in make.conf:

PORTAGE_NICENESS=19
PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND="ionice -c 3 -p \${PID}"