Re: regression in page writeback

From: Richard Kennedy
Date: Wed Sep 23 2009 - 05:20:06 EST

On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 18:59 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 09:45:00 +0800 Wu Fengguang <fengguang.wu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > But that works OK. We fill the first device's queue, then it gets
> > > congested and sync_sb_inodes() does nothing and we advance to the next
> > > queue.
> >
> > So in common cases "exhaust" is a bit exaggerated, but A does receive
> > much more opportunity than B. Computation resources for IO submission
> > are unbalanced for A, and there are pointless overheads in rechecking A.
>
> That's unquantified handwaving. One CPU can do a *lot* of IO.
>
> > > If a device has more than a queue's worth of dirty data then we'll
> > > probably leave some of that dirty memory un-queued, so there's some
> > > lack of concurrency in that situation.
> >
> > Good insight.
>
> It was wrong. See the other email.
>
> > That possibly explains one major factor of the
> > performance gains of Jens' per-bdi writeback.
>
> I've yet to see any believable and complete explanation for these
> gains. I've asked about these things multiple times and nothing happened.
>
> I suspect that what happened over time was that previously-working code
> got broken, then later people noticed the breakage but failed to
> analyse and fix it in favour of simply ripping everything out and
> starting again.
>
> So for the want of analysing and fixing several possible regressions,
> we've tossed away some very sensitive core kernel code which had tens
> of millions of machine-years testing. I find this incredibly rash.

FWIW I agree, I don't think the new per-bdi code has had enough testing
yet.

On my desktop setup I have not been able to measure any significant
change in performance of linear writes.

I am concerned that the background writeout no longer stops when it
reaches the background threshold, as balance_dirty_pages requests all
dirty pages to be written. No doubt this is good for large linear writes
but what about more random write workloads?

regards
Richard