Re: [boot crash] Re: [tip:x86/mce3] x86, mce: use 64bit machine checkcode on 32bit

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Wed Sep 23 2009 - 11:22:32 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:

Your sloppiness of not fixing mce_rdmsrl() as i requested brought us this new boot crash regression in 2.6.31, in mce_rdmsrl():

Ingo, that's because the MSRs already have capability bits. If the
capability bits don't work we have to find out why, not hack around
without understanding it it by using rdmsrl_safe(). Most likely something
more is wrong then and it has to be fixed properly.

I'll work with the reporter to find out what the problem is.
Thanks for bringing that bug to my attention.

-Andi