Re: module: Speed up symbol resolution during module loading

From: Alan Jenkins
Date: Wed Sep 23 2009 - 12:52:24 EST

[CC to lkml fixed :-/]

Rusty Russell wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:58:28 pm Alan Jenkins wrote:
>
>> The following series applies against v2.6.31. It sorts the tables of builtin
>> symbols, so the module loader can resolve them using a binary search.
>>
>> The kbuild changes to achieve this are less scary than I expected. I'm
>> optimistic that they can be accepted without radical alteration :-).
>>
>> Quoting from the last patch in this series:
>>
>> "On my EeePC 701, coldplug is mainly cpu bound and takes 1.5 seconds
>> during boot. perf showed this change eliminated 20% of cpu cycles during
>> coldplug, saving 0.3 seconds of real time.
>>

> Hi Alan,
>
> This seems useful, but wouldn't it be simpler to just sort at boot time?
> The same could be done for modules, possibly reducing code.
>
> Alternately, there's a standard way of hashing ELF symbols, but I'm not sure
> we can convince the linker to generate it for vmlinux (I haven't looked
> though).
>
> Thanks!
> Rusty.

I'm concerned that people would object to the extra overhead at boot
time. I've hacked up a prototype to sort at boot time and it takes 7ms
on the same hardware. That's just under than the average time saved
doesn't include side-effects (on cache) for the sort. The break-even
point will depend on the specific modules used.

That 7ms will be pure overhead in some cases - i.e. if your config is
"localyesconfig" (build in all currently used modules), but you keep
modules enabled to allow some flexibility. I'm not happy about that myself.

Hash tables have a similar disadvantage. They would add more
unswappable pages, in order to optimise a function which is only
significant at boot time. Binary search already brings symbol
resolution down from ~60% of modprobe's time to ~7%. The nice thing
about using sorted tables that they stay the same size.

Regards
Alan