Re: disk speed regression kernel 2.6.29 and after

From: Frans Pop
Date: Thu Sep 24 2009 - 14:11:28 EST

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> Regarding additional pursue of the root cause, I think that it is not
> worth the effort currently since there were no other reports about
> similar problems and libata is a better solution on most modern systems
> anyway.

I'm surprised at this, especially if the commit Will bisected it to [1] is
the culprit. That is a change in generic ide code and could thus very well
affect other users too.

This is a clear regression and IMHO, if it is confirmed that that commit is
the cause of the regression, it should be fixed. And if not, it could
still be worthwhile to track down which commit is the cause.

As for the lack of other reports, that could very well simply be because:
1) there are not that many users of IDE drivers anymore
2) most users don't really consciously watch their disk speed

As long as the IDE code is in mainline, I don't see why regressions should
be ignored. Adding the ide list and David to CC for other opinions.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/9/23/550