Re: Immediate values

From: Richard J Moore
Date: Fri Sep 25 2009 - 06:18:27 EST

Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 25/09/2009 11:02:06:

> There was considerable discussion abut this when the kprobe stuff went
> in. If I remember rightly it was stated by someone @intel.com then that
> int3 was ok (even though its not strictly documented as such). The same
> is not true for all instructions on all x86 processors unfortunately.
>
> Alan

Alan, I had that discussion with Intel, and yes int3 is a special case
because of the interrupt processing associated with it. The discussion
went along this lines: int3 is practically useless in an MP environment
if it's trouble by the cross-modifying erratum.

I suppose it is possible the more recent microarchitectures have
changed things. And yes, we might need to have that conversation again.

Richard