Re: TCP stack bug related to F-RTO?

From: Joe Cao
Date: Fri Sep 25 2009 - 11:58:23 EST

Hi Ilpo,

Thanks for the reply! Do you happen to know which patch fixed the problem? Is there a bug tracking system for linux kernel?

I studied the FRTO code in latest kernel 2.6.31. It seems the problem is still there:

1. Every time a RTO fires, because tcp_is_sackfrto(tp) returns 1, tcp_use_frto() returns true. And the server tcp enters FRTO.
2. After the head of write queue is retransmitted, two new data packets are transmitted, the server receives two dup-ACKs. That will make the TCP enter tcp_enter_frto_loss(), however, that only rests ssthresh and some other fields.
3. After another longer RTO fires, because tcp_is_sackfrto(tp) returns 1, tcp_use_frto() again returns true. The stack enters FRTO again.
4. The above repeats and the stack couldn't retransmits the lost packets faster.

Is my understanding above correct?

Thanks,
Joe