Re: massive_intr on CFS, BFS, and EDF

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Fri Sep 25 2009 - 18:48:29 EST

On 09/25/2009 04:37 PM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 15:31 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:

>> Do you allow oversubscription with EDF? It would seem so based on these
>> results. Would it maybe make sense to disallow oversubscription, or
>> make it an option?
>
> afaiu he doesn't, he simply splits the task's wcet between parent and
> child and (intends?) to feed back on child exit.

How does this work if we have one parent task that forks off a bunch of
kids like massive_intr? Does each child get half the bandwidth of the
previous child?

> oversubscribing edf isn't in general recommended, iirc u>1 gives
> unbounded latencies with edf.

Right...so would it perhaps be more interesting to try a modified test
where each child's bandwidth is equal and small enough that there is no
oversubscription?

Chris