Re: [patch 03/33] fs: scale files_lock

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Mon Sep 28 2009 - 09:24:14 EST

On Fri, 2009-09-04 at 16:51 +1000, npiggin@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Improve scalability of files_lock by adding per-cpu, per-sb files lists,
> protected with per-cpu locking. Effectively turning it into a big-writer
> lock.

What I did was fine-grain locking the double linked list so that you can
delete items without hitting a global lock.

For addition I added per-cpu list-heads that would be spliced onto the
global list once in a while.

Granted, the code was a tad involved... and hch wanted to get rid of
these lists, which is of course a much better solution.