Re: 2.6.31: booting on a PIII Celeron?

From: Michael Tokarev
Date: Mon Sep 28 2009 - 11:29:30 EST

Michael Tokarev wrote:
Hello.
I've a problem here with 2.6.31. kernel is
compiled for PIII:

CONFIG_MPENTIUMIII=y
CONFIG_X86_GENERIC=y

This kernel works on real PIII machine - like this:

vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping : 10
cpu MHz : 997.580

But it fails on a Celeron:

vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : Celeron (Coppermine)
stepping : 6
cpu MHz : 797.481

There's one more difference between the two:

PIII, working:
flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 mmx fxsr sse up
Celeron, !working:
flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 mmx fxsr sse up

So the celeron machine lacks "apic" flag. And in my
kernel config, apic is enabled:
CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y
(but not on the command line like apic=force)

it fails on early boot, after a bootloader printed
Celeron machine, it reboots instantly.

It's the same kernel binary, I tried it on several
machines, and the result is pretty consistent - if
it's a PIII-Celeron it reboots, if it's a PIII -
kernel boots and works ok.

All previous kernels with the same config worked on
these machines, at least as far as this issue is
concerned.

Is it a known issue? Is there anything else I can
try to debug it?

Thanks!

/mjt