Re: Wrong Vmalloc numbers in /proc/meminfo

From: Frans Pop
Date: Mon Sep 28 2009 - 12:56:17 EST

On Monday 28 September 2009, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:
> > VmallocTotal: 34359738367 kB
> > VmallocUsed: 340084 kB
> > VmallocChunk: 34359387131 kB
> >
> > Is it me or are VmallocTotal and VmallocChunk off by a factor 10,000
> > or so?
>
> I'm sorry I misunderstand your 10,000 implies.

What I meant is: is the Vmalloc area really 32 *terra*bytes in size?
Seems rather big for a system with only 2GB RAM.

I'd never noticed it before and it looks strange to me, but I guess it's
just the result of having 64-bit addressing: a theoretically addressable
area most of which will never actually be used?