VIA VT6330 PCI-E Combo Controller not fully supported

From: Chris M
Date: Tue Sep 29 2009 - 15:38:37 EST

Hi everyone! I'll quickly introduce myself before I get to the crux of my reason for posting to the mailing list. My name is Chris Merrett and although I'm not a subscriber to the list (my mail server would likely cry), I check a well-known archive quite regularly just to try and keep on top of developments in the community.

The reason I'm mailing is due to a partially-supported VIA chip present on a small handful of motherboards currently on sale. I mailed the maintainer (Jeff Garzik) to bring this to his attention quite some time ago, but I'd imagine he's not found the time to reply to me yet which is understandable. I figured that it'd be a good idea to make a post here with the info I've gathered, so that people affected by this same issue are aware that this particular chip isn't yet fully supported in the kernel.

The VT6330 is a combo controller chip that handles both Firewire and PATA, and is present on my Asrock N7AD-SLI. I'm also aware of it being present on other Asrock boards, and presumably other boards from different manufacturers. The Firewire functionality is supported perfectly and without issue, but unfortunately the PATA support is lacking at the moment. VIA have some information on this at the following URL: http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/peripherals/1394/vt6330/