Re: IO scheduler based IO controller V10

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Oct 02 2009 - 05:25:02 EST

* Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's not hard to make the latency good, the hard bit is making sure we
> also perform well for all other scenarios.

Looking at the numbers from Mike:

| dd competing against perf stat -- konsole -e exec timings, 5 back to
| back runs
| Avg
| before 9.15 14.51 9.39 15.06 9.90 11.6
| after [+patch] 1.76 1.54 1.93 1.88 1.56 1.7

_PLEASE_ make read latencies this good - the numbers are _vastly_
better. We'll worry about the 'other' things _after_ we've reached good
latencies.

I thought this principle was a well established basic rule of Linux IO
scheduling. Why do we have to have a 'latency vs. bandwidth' discussion
again and again? I thought latency won hands down.

Ingo