Re: 2.6.32-rc1-git2: Reported regressions from 2.6.31

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Fri Oct 02 2009 - 09:01:50 EST

Jaswinder Singh Rajput wrote:
> If you add one more entry say "Suspected commit :" then it will be great
> and will solve regressions much faster.

Will? Might.

> You can request submitter to
> submit 'suspected commit' by git bisect and also specify git bisect
> links like : (for more information about git bisect check
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/11753)

I disagree. A reporter should only be asked to bisect (using git or
other tools) /if/ a developer determined that bisection may speed up the
debugging process or is the only remaining option to make progress with
a bug.

It would be wrong to steal a reporter's valuable time by asking for
bisection before anybody familiar with the matter even had a first look
at the report.

Remember:
- Not all bugs can be economically narrowed down by bisection.
- Bisection requires skills, rigor, and time.
- Alas there are considerable sections in our kernel history which
are not bisectable.
--
Stefan Richter