Re: [bisected] 2.6.31 regression sis5513 PIO Mode 0 hang

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Sat Oct 03 2009 - 20:59:21 EST

On 10/02/2009 08:54 PM, David Fries wrote:
I just did a git bisection from 2.6.30 to 2.6.31 because 2.6.31 will
not boot on this system. d.stussy@xxxxxxxxx's post September 12th
looks the same, different CPU but both have sis5513 IDE chips. His
would normally init the ethernet chip next, mine would do PS/2 next,
both hang right after the Uniform CD-ROM message.

This was bisected down to chaging PIO mode 0 for probing. What
problem was that patch trying to solve? Reverting just that patch at
the top of 2.6.31 tree works. I can test patches.

Assigned bugzilla.kernel.org bug 14310

Well, it's the right thing to do (libata does it) but presumably doing that in old IDE is triggering some kind of bug. Unless there's a specific problem it was solving, or someone is interested in debugging in detail (I'm certainly not interested in drivers/ide) it should likely be reverted as we've done without it for so long..