Re: [PROBLEM][2.6.31.1] - Cannot burn DVDs - PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Mon Oct 05 2009 - 17:56:38 EST

On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 13:11:51 +0200, Joerg Schilling said:
> >Model is:
> >Unable to burn DVDs with 2.6.31.x
>
> >ata7.00: ATAPI: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D, 1.29, max UDMA/66
> >scsi 6:0:0:0: CD-ROM PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D 1.29 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
>
> >sr 6:0:0:0: [sr0] Unhandled sense code

> Please note that this is not cdrecord but a defective fork where someone

Please note that it doesn't matter if it's Joerg's Officially Blessed Cdrecord
or not - the question is if userspace should be able to cause that error
to happen *at all*.

Also, it's quite possible that we're looking at a *kernel* regression, that
the userspace software managed to actually *work* with previous kernels, even
if it wasn't blessed by you:

>> I thought maybe this was due to something with kernel config but I'm not sure
>> now. This used to work fine.

If it breaks when somebody upgrades their kernel, it's probably the kernel's
fault, not the user's fault for using a distro that ships The Other Fork.

> It is very likely that this problem does not occur with the original
> cdrecord from:

> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

Yes, but his distro probably feels it can't ship the original cdrecord
so it ships wodim instead. And if it's indeed a kernel bug, replacing
a forked userspace program to work around a kernel bug is The Wrong Answer.

It forked 3 whole years ago, Joerg. Let it go already. And if you can't
let it go, at least ask the user *helpful* questions, like Jeff Garzik did: