Re: Linux 2.6.32-rc3

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Oct 06 2009 - 13:34:47 EST

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009, Frans Pop wrote:

> Doesn't this leave users of the git snapshot tarballs in the cold?

You can save it in .scmversion if you want to, we've supported that as a
"export versions outside of the SCM" way since introducing
LOCALVERSION_AUTO.

> The advantage of an -rc0 in the Makefile is that everybody gets it.

Have you missed the whole discussion about why it doesn't work?

Have you missed the point on why it is FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG to do?

You also seem to be making up more and more ludicrous examples of things
to do. Why the f*ck cares about somebody taking a random git tree, tarring
it up, and then building it like that?

I mean really.

Linus