Re: Linux 2.6.32-rc3

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Oct 06 2009 - 14:51:31 EST

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009, Frans Pop wrote:

> Enabling it by default somehow would be fine with me, but "compulsory" is a
> step to far IMO. Users should always be allowed custom schemes.

I do respect that - we shouldn't _force_ things if some people have
special needs and do things differently and really need a very particular
version number setup.

That said, we might make it a lot harder for people to overlook this by
mistake when they don't care or know enough. Maybe we can have three
levels of the "automatic" version number, and make the third level ("no
automatic sign of versioning at all") be something that you really need to
ask for (eg you need to have EMBEDDED enabled to show that you want the
whole extended config option setup or something fairly draconian like
that).

Linus