Re: [this_cpu_xx V5 19/19] SLUB: Experimental new fastpath w/ointerrupt disable

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Wed Oct 07 2009 - 11:04:29 EST

* Christoph Lameter (cl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Oct 2009, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
>
> > Yes, I understood this is what he was doing, but I wonder about the
> > impact on the scheduler. If we have:
> >
> > * Jiffy 1 -- timer interrupt
> >
> > * preempt disable
> > * Jiffy 2 -- timer interrupt
> > -> here, the scheduler is disabled, so the timer interrupt is skipped.
> > The scheduler depends on preempt_check_resched() at preempt_enable()
> > to execute in a bounded amount of time.
>
> preempt disable does not disable interrupts. The timer interrupt will
> occur. The scheduler may not reschedule another job on this processor
> when the timer interrupt calls the scheduler_tick. It
> may not do load balancing.

Yes. All you say here is true. I'm concerned about the _impact_ of this
along with the preempt/irqoff dance you propose. Trimming the following
key points from my execution scenario indeed skips the problem altogether.

Usually, when preemption is disabled, the scheduler restrain from
executing. *Now the important point*: the criterion that bounds the
maximum amount of time before the scheduler will re-check for pending
preemption is when preempt_enable() will re-activate preemption.

But because you run preempt_enable with interrupts off, the scheduler
check is not done. And it's not done when interrupts are re-activated
neither.

Please go back to my complete execution scenario, you'll probably see
the light. ;)

Thanks,

Mathieu

--