RE: [GIT PULL] x86/txt for v2.6.32

From: Cihula, Joseph
Date: Wed Oct 07 2009 - 12:48:47 EST

Intel TXT in Brief:
o Provides dynamic root of trust for measurement (DRTM)
o Data protection in case of improper shutdown
o Measurement and verification of launched environment

Intel TXT doesn't protect anything itself--it provides a foundation for software to provide protections and security. tboot and the associated Linux patches do this. The section of intel_txt.txt titled "Value Proposition for Linux or "Why should you care?"" tries to describe what is provided.

> Data integrity only?

Data integrity, yes, but not only. The code also provides for DRTM-based measurements, data protection in case of improper shutdown, etc.

> Data privacy, too?

No.

> Who is it designed to protect against?
>
> Remote attacker?

Yes.

> Local user trying to subvert it?

No.

> ...and has soldering iron he's willing to use?
>
> ...and has soldering iron, osciloscope and PCI analyzer he's willing to use?

No and no.

> > TXT simply produces a reasonably trustworthy measurement of system
> > state. If you modify RAM while the system is asleep, then you will not
> > be able to produce a measurement showing an unmodified system state.
>
> Well, actually I see some auditing to be done in proposed patches.

All comments are welcome.

Joe