Re: wrong final bzImage build (regading #14270)

From: Michael Tokarev
Date: Fri Oct 09 2009 - 13:15:43 EST

H. Peter Anvin ÐÐÑÐÑ:
On 10/09/2009 07:58 AM, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
Peter and Sam CC'ed

[Michael Tokarev - Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 06:17:50PM +0400]
Ok, finally the mystery solved. After a week of
digging.

The original problem was titled "Cannot boot on
a PIII Celeron", and Rafael filed a bug #14270
for this.

In short, what I observed was that a new kernel
(2.6.31) fails to boot on a PIII Celeron machine.
But changing just the CPU to plain PIII and voila,
it now works. I don't know why it behaved this
way, but I found where was the problem, finally.

We should switch to printf here. Hexadecimal constants in echo aren't
guaranteed by POSIX.

That's what I initially proposed. However, as Scott Olson pointed
out, there's already a fix for this:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/8/19/84
http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/42564/

which uses still-non-portable /bin/echo.

(I wish I knew about it a week before now - it wasn't a pleasant week for me).

Still an interesting result. I can understand if it failed
for systems with smaller amounts of memory, -- nope, it fails
with Celeron on a 64Mb system, but works on the same system
if I replace the CPU to a real PIII... Fun.

/mjt