Re: MVSAS 1669:mvs_abort_task:rc= 5

From: Thomas Fjellstrom
Date: Sat Oct 10 2009 - 11:58:40 EST

On Fri October 9 2009, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to get an AOC-SASLP-MV8 card (pcie x4 2 port SAS card) to
> work with linux for the past month or so. I've recently just RMAed my first
> card, and tested the new one under linux, and I see the same problems.
>
> The very first time I made a new array off the controller, formated (with
> xfs) and mounted the volume, it seemed to work. ioozone even seemed to run
> for a while. Sadly after a few minutes I got a stream of mvs_abort_task
> messages in dmesg, and any accesses to the volume, or any disks connected
> to the controller lock up.
>
> After that I updated my 2.6.31 kernel to 2.6.32-rc3-git2 off of kernel.org,
> and the volume fails to mount with the same mvs_abort_task messages.
>
> I've attached my dmesg log from both attempts. dmesg1 is the first attempt,
> dmesg2 is the second attempt on the newer kernel.
>
> I would really appreciate some help with this.

I should also mention that if I attempt to remove any of the drives while the
card is in a hung state, the entire machine locks up with the keyboard LEDs
blinking.

This does seem to be a rather serious error.

If there is more I can do to help track down the problems, please let me know.
I really need to get this to work (my current array is FULL, and may be
showing signs of failure) as soon as possible.

I can pretty much wipe and reinstall everything at any point on this machine,
update/install new kernels, etc. I just don't have a null modem cable atm to
hook up a serial console to capture the errors on OOPSes.

Thanks.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxx