Re: complete IO hang since a few kernel revision

From: Petr Titěra
Date: Sat Oct 10 2009 - 15:34:00 EST

Mike Galbraith napsal(a):
On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 16:16 +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
On Tue, 06 Oct 2009, Mike Galbraith wrote:
I've tried unsuccessfully to reproduce this behavior.

Since it doesn't appear to be something readily reproducible, more
information and/or some digging on your part may be needed.
Hm, how could I do that? I am fine with compiling some strange kernel options, or running some debugging task, but I don't have
and netconsole or serial console available.

Locating when it started for you would be valuable, even if it's not
pin-pointed such as a git bisection could do. A bisection is the best
bet to nail it down, but can be quite time consuming.

I see something similar here. Processes just get stuck in balance_dirty_pages for infinite time. It helps if, when process is stuck another process generates some dirty pages. Unfotunately last kernel I'm prety sure everything worked is 2.6.31-rc9-tip-01355-ge035e96 (yes its x86 -tip kernel). I'm building new kernel now.

Petr

One thing you can try is to drop to a non-gui shell, and see it the
symptom is reproducible without the GUI. If it is, poke SysRq-W while
things are thoroughly jammed up, and post the output+config here.

-Mike

__________ Informace od ESET Smart Security, verze databaze 4496 (20091010) __________

Tuto zpravu proveril ESET Smart Security.

http://www.eset.cz