Re: MVSAS 1669:mvs_abort_task:rc= 5

From: Thomas Fjellstrom
Date: Sun Oct 11 2009 - 19:00:03 EST

On Sun October 11 2009, Christian Vilhelm wrote:
> Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been trying to get an AOC-SASLP-MV8 card (pcie x4 2 port SAS card)
> > to work with linux for the past month or so. I've recently just RMAed my
> > first card, and tested the new one under linux, and I see the same
> > problems.
> >
> > The very first time I made a new array off the controller, formated (with
> > xfs) and mounted the volume, it seemed to work. ioozone even seemed to
> > run for a while. Sadly after a few minutes I got a stream of
> > mvs_abort_task messages in dmesg, and any accesses to the volume, or any
> > disks connected to the controller lock up.
> >
> > After that I updated my 2.6.31 kernel to 2.6.32-rc3-git2 off of
> > kernel.org, and the volume fails to mount with the same mvs_abort_task
> > messages.
>
> I have the exact same problem with another Marvell 88SE64xx based card,
> namely an Areca ARC-1300ix-16 and the mvsas driver.
> If the disks are just used alone, with a filesystem on them, all seems
> to work fine. dd and badblocks run fine on them. Mounting them,
> reading/writing work fine. The error seem to popup but rarely when
> several disks are used simultaneously.
> But, an absolute sure way to trigger the error is to assemble (or
> create) a md raid array with the disks. I join a syslog extract from the
> error. You can see it happens seconds after the array creation.
> I tried :
> 1) disabling the write cache on the disks => same error
> 2) disabling NCQ : in mv_sas.h :
> #define MV_DISABLE_NCQ 1
> same error.
> Afer a while, the devices handled by the card are just dropped from the
> system and the card stops working at all, a reboot is necessary.

I have found that a proper reboot is impossible once the card/driver starts
misbehaving. Anything that tries to do anything with the md device, or any of
the component drives will hang. Even kernel threads it seems. A reboot or a
shutdown hangs when it tries to sync the md device, and ALT+SYSRQ+S/U both
hang. After the first Alt+sysrq+s it will register more of them, but it won't
print the "Emergency Sync Complete" message.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxx