Re: Mutex vs semaphores scheduler bug

From: TÃrÃk Edwin
Date: Mon Oct 12 2009 - 11:38:56 EST

On 2009-10-12 17:53, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-10-10 at 17:57 +0300, TÃrÃk Edwin wrote:
>> If a semaphore (such as mmap_sem) is heavily congested, then using a
>> userspace mutex makes the program faster.
>>
>> For example using a mutex around *anonymous* mmaps, speeds it up
>> significantly (~80% on this microbenchmark,
>> ~15% on real applications). Such workarounds shouldn't be necessary for
>> userspace applications, the kernel should
>> by default use the most efficient implementation for locks.
>
> Should, yes, does, no.
>
>> However when using a mutex the number of context switches is SMALLER by
>> 40-60%.
>
> That matches the problem, see below.
>
>> I think its a bug in the scheduler, it scheduler the mutex case much
>> better.
>
> It's not, the scheduler doesn't know about mutexes/futexes/rwsems.
>
>> Maybe because userspace also spins a bit before actually calling
>> futex().
>
> Nope, if we would ever spin, it would be in the kernel after calling
> FUTEX_LOCK (which currently doesn't exist). glibc shouldn't do any
> spinning on its own (if it does, I have yet another reason to try and
> supplant the glibc futex code).

I think it doesn't by default, I was mislead by the huge number of cases
in pthread_mutex_lock.c. The default one does this:

__lll_lock_wait:
cfi_startproc
pushq %r10
cfi_adjust_cfa_offset(8)
pushq %rdx
cfi_adjust_cfa_offset(8)
cfi_offset(%r10, -16)
cfi_offset(%rdx, -24)
xorq %r10, %r10 /* No timeout. */
movl $2, %edx
LOAD_FUTEX_WAIT (%esi)

cmpl %edx, %eax /* NB: %edx == 2 */
jne 2f

1: movl $SYS_futex, %eax
syscall

2: movl %edx, %eax
xchgl %eax, (%rdi) /* NB: lock is implied */

testl %eax, %eax
jnz 1b

popq %rdx
cfi_adjust_cfa_offset(-8)
cfi_restore(%rdx)
popq %r10
cfi_adjust_cfa_offset(-8)
cfi_restore(%r10)
retq

>> I think its important to optimize the mmap_sem semaphore
>
> It is.
>
> The problem appears to be that rwsem doesn't allow lock-stealing

OK, sorry for mistaking lack of lock-stealing with scheduler bug.

>, and
> very strictly maintains FIFO order on contention. This results in extra
> schedules and reduced performance as you noticed.
>
> What happens is that when we release a contended rwsem we assign it to
> the next waiter, if before that waiter gets ran, another (running) tasks
> comes along and tries to acquire the lock, that gets put to sleep, even
> though it could possibly get to acquire it (and the woken waiter would
> detect failure and go back to sleep).

The reason I initially thought it was a scheduler bug is that it seemed
it has something to do with wakeups, and threads are sleeping for too
long waiting for the lock.
But I think the scheduler can't give preference to tasks which would be
able to acquire a semaphore they were sleeping on, because that'd throw
fair scheduling off-balance, right?

> So what I think we need to do is have a look at all this lib/rwsem.c
> slowpath code and hack in lock stealing.

Best regards,
--Edwin