Re: [REGRESSION] "bind" a device to a driver doesn't not workanymore

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Mon Oct 12 2009 - 11:47:02 EST

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 07:44:58AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 01:46:17PM +0200, Éric Piel wrote:

> > > I8042 has been converted to use platform_driver_probe() - we are creating
> > > platform device and platform driver together, there is no chance that some
> > > other device might be driven by i8042 driver.
> > I haven't finished bisecting, but indeed, the problem seemed to converge
> > toward this patch.
> >

> > > Eric, do you still need to fiddle with i8042 to get your keyboard working with
> > > 2.6.32-rc3? We need to make sure that resube works without users needing to
> > > mess with bind/unbind.
> > Yes, the keyboard doesn't work after the first resume from ram (the
> > later resumes do work). I haven't tried any special option to the i8042
> > driver. This is on a HP 2510, in 64 bits.
> >
> > Indeed, it would be great to fix this root problem! Is there any bug
> > report opened to work on this?
> >
> > However, currently the first problem is that unbind works, while bind
> > doesn't. Which means anyone doing an unbind will have keyboard and mouse
> > lost until the next reboot. That's rather bad because it has been
> > recommended for a long time to have this kind of script at resume:
> > http://intertrusion.com/files/hp-s2ram.patch
> > http://en.opensuse.org/Pm-utils
> >
> > So at least, unbind should fail as well as bind.
>
> Ah, I bet I know why bind fails... Yeah, the i8042_platform_device is
> never freed up in the i8042_remove() function in
> drivers/input/serio/i8042.c, so when you try to register it again, it
> fails.

Huh? Platform device and driver are created in i8042_init() and removed
in i8042_exit(); i8042_remove() is a remove() method of the platform
driver so it never should be freeing the platform device.

The issue is that with platform drivers using i8042_driver_probe() the
probe frunction is discarded afterwards so the driver can't be bound to
anything after initialization has been completed; however unbinding
through 'unbind' attribute still works (once). You may recall a thread
with me and David arguing about it a couple of weeks ago...

--
Dmitry