Re: blkdev_issue_flush really issues a WRITE_BARRIER -- is that okay?

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Oct 12 2009 - 14:39:28 EST

On 10/12/2009 01:31 PM, Jeff Moyer wrote:
Hi,

While looking though Christoph's patch to call blkdev_issue_flush for
fsync on block devices, I noticed that it only issues a WRITE_BARRIER.
I don't see how that guarantees that data is on stable storage. Am I
missing something? Shouldn't this translate to a FLUSH CACHE or
SYNCHRONIZE CACHE command?

Barriers are a high level primitive that exist at the block layer level.

Lower level storage drivers then convert barriers to a hardware-specific low level primitive such as SYNCHRONIZE CACHE or FUA.

Jeff