[BUG] ati_remote2.c: possible mutex_lock without mutex_unlock

From: iceberg
Date: Tue Oct 13 2009 - 09:50:47 EST

KERNEL_VERSION: 2.6.31
DESCRIBE:

In driver ./drivers/input/input.c possible call to mutex_lock
from function input_devices_seq_start without mutex_unlock.

After calling input_devices_seq_start we can't know whether
mutex was locked or not.
Case 1. If mutex_lock_interruptible was not
locked due to interrupt then input_devices_seq_start returns NULL.
Case 2. If mutex was successfuly locked but seq_list_start returned
NULL then input_devices_seq_start returns NULL too.
The last case occurs if seq_list_start is called with pos>size of
input_dev_list or pos<0.

Hence, after calling input_devices_seq_start we can not simply check
that result is not NULL and call input_devices_seq_stop function
which unlocks the mutex. Because in case 2 the mutex will stay locked.
void * ret = input_devices_seq_start(...);
if(ret!=NULL) {
//mutex is acquired for sure
input_devices_seq_stop(...);//unlocks the mutex
} else {
//mutex may be acquired or not
}

783 static void *input_devices_seq_start(struct seq_file *seq, loff_t
*pos)
784{
785 if (mutex_lock_interruptible(&input_mutex))
786 return NULL;
787
788 return seq_list_start(&input_dev_list, *pos);
789}

663struct list_head *seq_list_start(struct list_head *head, loff_t
pos)
664{
665 struct list_head *lh;
666
667 list_for_each(lh, head)
668 if (pos-- == 0)
669 return lh;
670
671 return NULL;
672}
673
674EXPORT_SYMBOL(seq_list_start);
675

Found by: Linux Driver Verification project