XFS cpu use and slowness

From: Thomas Fjellstrom
Date: Wed Oct 14 2009 - 08:45:43 EST

I've recently had a couple issues with XFS.

First off I've noticed a few times that XFS becomes VERY slow when its near
full (a few GB free), even when it's not fragmented. Reads slow down to
something on the order of 1MB/s, when at full speed I can generally pull
200MB/s off the raid5 array (its been a long time since I've seen speed
anywhere near that off of the file system).

And second, I see one or more of the xfsdatad threads using up a significant
amount of CPU time (30%+) when running a test like: `iozone -s 8G -A` on my
new 5 disk md raid0 array. Its pretty fast however (570MBs write, 380MB/s
read). That said, flush-9:0 and kswapd0* also like to use up a lot of cpu at
the same time (10-30% cpu each)

So it seems xfs is fast when its a fresh file system, but degrades over time
(I have xfs_fsr set to run automatically every day on my existing xfs fs, I
can't see it being very fragmented).

* I have no idea why kswapd0 would be using that much cpu, system has 4G ram,
and most of it is file/disk cache. Doing the tests however seems to push more
and more into swap. Started out as 0M, during the first test it moved up to
1MB, and now during a second test its up to 14MB. Not a lot, but more than I
expected.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxx