Re: Moving drivers into staging (was Re: [GIT PULL] SCSI fixes for2.6.32-rc3)

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Wed Oct 14 2009 - 13:55:37 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Joe Perches <joe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 21:45 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
>> > How about when it was scheduled to be removed, we put it in staging and
>> > I'll add it to my announcements about the staging tree every release?
>> > Unless you can think of a better way?
>>
>> staging/to_be_removed_unless_fixed_by/v.x.y ?
>
> Yes, that's a real worry. Some time ago i suggested:
>
> drivers/staging/good/
> drivers/staging/bad/
> drivers/staging/ugly/

How well do "git am", "quilt import" and friends cope with ever changing
directories?

How about using drivers/staging/this_driver/TODO and (or) its Kconfig
help text to leave a note about the plans for this driver?

The worry that these will be ignored like
Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt is being ignored may apply to
the path name based solution too, I'm afraid.

(Besides, Greg's release announcements are a good channel for this.
These announcements are actually picked up by the specialized press.)
--
Stefan Richter