Re: [RFC] Remove or convert empty ioctls ?

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Oct 15 2009 - 11:24:30 EST

On 10/15/2009 11:01 AM, Alan Cox wrote:
"no particular value" is highly subjective, and I think unprovable,
without an exhaustive survey of userland programs interacting with
kernel drivers. Userland programs often interact with a -class- of
drivers, expecting predictable behavior from a DoThisThing ioctl, with
EINVAL or "other weird error code" returned intentionally.

Changing the return codes seems quite unwise.

We've changed lots of them to -ENOTTY over the past few years, nobody has
even noticed (you included ;))

SuS says an unknown ioctl code returns -ENOTTY.

These are not unknown ioctls; they are ioctls that the driver author close to implement rather than the default (ENOTTY).

Jeff