Re: removing existing working drivers via staging

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Oct 16 2009 - 03:27:24 EST

* david@xxxxxxx <david@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Hence the timeline of 3 releases per <20091015164726.GA10125@xxxxxxx>
>> affects developers/ janitors much more than end users.
>
> it may be that I've jumped the gun here with my concerns, and should
> just wait until something actually gets moved to staging to see what
> the actual policies are going to be in practice, but the policies as
> written seem to be very loose.

Note that nothing has changed: the same fine folks who worked for 15+
years to give you the OS with the most built-in drivers on this planet
(more than 3000 drivers today and counting) are handling this too.

Please dont assume that this trend is now being reversed - to the
contrary - Linux being able to boot out of box on 99% of the systems
out there is one of our biggest strengths.

Ingo