Re: Raid reconstructing and process hanging in D state

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Fri Oct 16 2009 - 05:50:36 EST

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009, Holger Kiehl wrote:

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009, Justin Piszcz wrote:
Hi,

I have the same problem with mdadm/raid-1, if you do not limit the speed in the speed_limit_min paramter, it will starve the I/O from all other processes and result in the same problem you are having.

But in my case speed_limit_min was set to 1000 and speed_limit_max was 200000
(ie. the default) and this still caused all process to hang in D-state. Only
lowering speed_limit_max helped to make the system responsive again.

But for me I'm not sure about the reconstruction-- this happens for me during a raid verify/check.

This was also the case for me, during a raid verify/check.

Holger

Oops,

I meant the max speed has to be capped too.

Example, my old script (Velociraptors did 120MB/s) but anything over 90MB/s it would start to starve the I/O;

# Set minimum and maximum raid rebuild speed to 30MB/s.
#echo "Setting maximum resync speed to 90 MiB/s..."
#echo 30000 > /sys/block/md0/md/sync_speed_min
#echo 90000 > /sys/block/md0/md/sync_speed_max

This would eat 90MB/s of the 120MB/s but still leave some breathing room.

Justin.