Regressions between 2.6.30.2 and 2.6.31.4

From: Olivier Galibert
Date: Sat Oct 17 2009 - 11:48:47 EST

I just updated from 2.6.30.2 to 2.6.31.4 and I had the dubious
pleasure to find out that the "don't change user interfaces" principle
has been ignored once again.

Stopping rfkill for wlan0 was:
echo 1 > /sys/class/net/wlan0/device/rfkill/rfkill*/state

now it's:
echo 1 > /sys/class/net/wlan0/device/ieee80211/phy*/rfkill*/state

and it was different for 29.4 (no /rfkill/ subdirectory). What will
it be for 32? Bets are open.

As for my sound card (intel hda), looks like someone decided to add
two controls for jack presence detection *in* *the* *middle* of the
existing controls. Numbered controls, mind you, because somehow names
must be too complex to use. That made alsactl decide not to restore
my levels. Always pleasant.

Will the alsa and the sysfs-using guys ever bother with compatibility?

OG.