Re: 2.6.31+2.6.31.4: XFS - All I/O locks up to D-state after 24-48hours (sysrq-t+w available)

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Wed Oct 21 2009 - 06:20:14 EST

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Justin Piszcz wrote:

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Dave Chinner wrote:

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 06:18:58AM -0400, Justin Piszcz wrote:
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009, Dave Chinner wrote:
On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 04:17:42PM -0400, Justin Piszcz wrote:
It has happened again, all sysrq-X output was saved this time.

All pointing to log IO not completing.

So far I do not have a reproducible test case,

Ok. What sort of load is being placed on the machine?
Hello, generally the load is low, it mainly serves out some samba shares.

It appears that both the xfslogd and the xfsdatad on CPU 0 are in
the running state but don't appear to be consuming any significant
CPU time. If they remain like this then I think that means they are
stuck waiting on the run queue. Do these XFS threads always appear
like this when the hang occurs? If so, is there something else that
is hogging CPU 0 preventing these threads from getting the CPU?
Yes, the XFS threads show up like this on each time the kernel crashed. So far
with 2.6.30.9 after ~48hrs+ it has not crashed. So it appears to be some issue
between 2.6.30.9 and 2.6.31.x when this began happening. Any recommendations
on how to catch this bug w/certain options enabled/etc?

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner
david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Uptime with 2.6.30.9:

06:18:41 up 2 days, 14:10, 14 users, load average: 0.41, 0.21, 0.07

No issues yet, so it first started happening in 2.6.(31).(x).

Any further recommendations on how to debug this issue? BTW: Do you view this
as an XFS bug or MD/VFS layer issue based on the logs/output thus far?

Justin.